AMCTO Policy Blog

Legislative and policy updates from Ontario's largest municipal professional association.
Federal Government Licensing New Cannabis Producers
2017-12-20 1:00:00 PM

Health Canada has announced plans to license 208 new cannabis producers, more than tripling the current number of official growers in the country. The move is designed to substantially increase the capacity of the cannabis industry as the government's proposed date for legali...

Federal Government, Provinces Reach Revenue Sharing Deal on Cannabis
2017-12-14 11:37:16 AM

Earlier this week the federal government and provinces reached a deal on sharing tax revenue from cannabis sales. According to the deal provinces will collect 75% of all excise tax levied on cannabis sales, while the federal government will take the remaining 25%. The deal als...

AMO Calls for Share of Cannabis Revenue
2017-12-04 3:02:49 PM

The Association of Municipalities Ontario (AMO) is calling on the Government of Ontario to cover the costs of cannabis legalization and provide municipalities with a share of the revenues generated by cannabis sales. AMO's request is based on the potential for cannabis legaliz...

Proposed Building Code Regulation Posted
2017-11-24 10:32:56 AM

The Ministry of Municipal Affairs has posted a proposed regulation that would establish a building code evaluation program for buildings with rooftop parking, and exposed multi-story, above-ground parking structures. The proposals suggested in the regulation are derived from ...

Ontario Introduces Proposed Policing Reforms
2017-11-03 1:14:50 PM

Yesterday Minister of Community Safety and Correctional Services Marie-France Lalonde and Attorney General Yasir Naqvi introduced the government's proposed community safety and policing reforms. Key reforms include:  Giving municipalities a larger role in defining an...

Ontario Tables Cannabis Legislation
2017-11-02 11:42:40 AM

Roughly a month after announcing its proposed approach to legalizing recreational cannabis, the Government of Ontario has tabled legislation that would enact that vision. Specifically, Bill 174, the Cannabis, Smoke-Free Ontario and Road Safety Statute Law Amendment Act, wou...

Province Engaging Municipalities on Locations for Sale of Recreational Cannabis
2017-10-30 3:34:37 PM

On Friday the province sent letters to all municipalities in Ontario to begin the process of identifying locations for retail stores that will sell recreational cannabis. According to the letter, the process will be led by the LCBO. In making its decisions about where to loca...

Alberta Unveils Cannabis Legalization Plan
2017-10-05 11:00:00 AM

Yesterday, the Government of Alberta unveiled its proposed plan for the legalization and sale of recreational cannabis. Key features of the plan include:  Establishing a minimum age of 18 to buy or use cannabis Allowing public possession of 30 grams (purc...

Federal Government Plans to Levy Cannabis Tax
2017-10-05 9:30:00 AM

The federal government announced this week at a meeting of provincial premiers that it plans to impose a 10-percent federal tax on sales of recreational cannabis. According to the government and media sources, the tax would be set at $1 per gram on purchases under $10 and 10 ...

Ontario Creates Opioid Task Force
2017-10-04 6:00:15 PM

The province announced today that it is establishing an Opioid Emergency Task Force to better coordinate the government's response to the opioid crisis. The group, which will be comprised of frontline workers and people with lived experience with opioids, will advise the gover...

Pages: 7 of 8